Pendrel Wins 2nd Career World Title, Hafjell, Norway (MTB XC Women’s Elite)
Sep 08, 2014
(Hafjell, Nor – September 6, 2014) Canada’s Catharine Pendrel of Kamloops, BC won the elite women World Championships title on Saturday, in Hafjell, Norway, her career second title.
Pendrel finished the course with a time of 1:31:30, crossing the finish line 21 seconds ahead of former World Champion Irina Kalentieva of Russia and 43 seconds ahead of American Lea Davidson.
Pendrel won the same title in 2011, in Champéry, Switzerland. Pendrel climbed on the Top 3-podium three times this season on the World Cup tour, including one victory in Windham (USA) and a second place on home soil at Mont-Sainte-Anne. Pendrel also won the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Scotland in a dominating fashion.
Canada’s Emily Batty of Brooklyn, ON finished sixth.
In the elite women’s race, Canada finished as the top country in the nations ranking.
More information to come.
1. PENDREL Catharine CANADA 1:31:30 +0:00
2. KALENTIEVA Irina RUSSIAN FEDERATION 1:31:51 +0:21
3. DAVISON Lea UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1:32:13 +0:43
6. BATTY Emily CANADA 1:33:39 +2:09
34. WALTER Sandra CANADA 1:43:03 +11:33
45. KOFMAN Mikaela CANADA -1LAP
photo from Cycling Canada
CANADIAN CHAMPION VAEA VERBEECK TAKES SIXTH PLACE AT DOWNHILL MOUNTAIN BIKE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Verbeeck rides to career best performance
(Hafjell, NOR – September 7, 2014) Canadian Mountain Bike Downhill Champion Vaea Verbeeck rode to her career best performance on Sunday, taking the sixth place of the women elite race at the Mountain Bike Downhill World Championships in Hafjell, Norway.
Verbeeck sped down the course with a time of 4:04.537, showing a 15-second deficit over the winning time set by Great Britain’s Manon Carpenter. The brits swept the podium, with former World Champion Rachel Atherton in second place and Tahnee Seagrave in third, all within three seconds.
In the men’s race, Mark Wallace was the top Canadian, in 20th place. Wallace was only six seconds off the winning time set by Gee Atherton, of Great Britain.
1. ATHERTON, Gee (GREAT BRITAIN) 3:23.769
2. BRYCELAND, Josh (GREAT BRITAIN) +0.407
3. BROSNAN, Troy (AUSTRALIA) +0.566
20. WALLACE, Mark (CANADA) +6.866
34. SANGERS, Kyle (CANADA) +11.161
36. GAUVIN, Remi (CANADA) +11.694
42. VEZINA, Mckay (CANADA) +12.795
1. CARPENTER, Manon (GREAT BRITAIN) 3:49.407
2. ATHERTON, Rachel (GREAT BRITAIN) +0.088
3. SEAGRAVE, Tahnee (GREAT BRITAIN) +3.463
6. VERBEECK, Vaea (CANADA) +15.130
11. GATTO, Micayla (CANADA) +22.068
12. BROWN, Casey (CANADA) +26.229
1. VERGIER, Loris (FRANCE) 3:29.090
2. GREENLAND, Laurie (GREAT BRITAIN) +4.990
3. DICKSON, Jacob (IRELAND) +7.294
14. ILES, Jack (CANADA) +13.836
Please click here for the full article with pictures