The BC Games Coach Mentorship Program is a partnership between viaSport and the BC Games Society, designed to support the development of key mentors within sports and increase the current capacity of sport leaders in BC.
The BC Games Coach Mentorship Program seeks to:
- Support PSOs in targeted coach development, through mentorship
- Build capacity in coaching leaders in BC, by increasing their confidence and competence to act in mentorship roles
- Introduce a basic mentorship model in sport, that could be used to develop a variety of roles.
The BC Games Coach Mentorship Program will consist of a Master Mentor, supplied by the Canadian Sport Institute – Pacific, to provide support to sport specific mentor coaches.
Mentor coaches will be identified by their Provincial Sport Organization and will work with one or more apprentice coaches in their sport during the lead up and duration of the BC Games.
Mentor Coaches participating in the program will:
- Have a meeting with their Provincial Organization and Master Mentor
- Work with the master mentor to create a personal development plan
- Participate in regular check ins and cohort shared learning engagements (virtual)
- Support other coaches in their development for the BC Games
- If possible – attend a in person orientation and kick off weekend
We Accept up to 10 Coach Mentors
The program supports up to 10 Coach Mentors for each Games. Nominations for the program need to come from Provincial Sport Organizations.
The program will attempt to support as many PSOs as possible; multiple Coach Mentors from one sport will only be accepted if space is available.
Organizations looking to apply must be a sport in the BC Games, be in good standing with viaSport, and have successfully adopted the British Columbia Universal Code of Conduct.
Applications for this program will open approximately 8 months prior to the start of a BC Games and applicants will be selected approximately 6 months prior to the start of the BC Games.
* Mandatory Field