Skilled Interactions for Officials
Jul 13, 2023
This course is offered by the Coaching Association of Canada for $19.95.
As an official, you are required to make rapid decisions in an ambiguous environment where player and coach emotions often run high (Simmons & Cunningham, 2013). It is inevitable that players and coaches will disagree with some of your decisions and you will be required to interact skillfully with them to minimize and manage conflict. The best officials are able to manage contests without dominating them (MacMahon & Plessner, 2008). This module is intended to give you the insight you need to effectively interact with coaches and players and officiate the game with interpersonal ease.
- Upon completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Explain why officials need to be able to interact skillfully with others
- Recognize behaviours and attitudes that minimize and exacerbate conflict
- Manage the impression players and coaches have of you
- Apply strategies to minimize conflict
- Effectively interact with coaches and players when under pressure