Safety in Sport Project Updates
The Province of British Columbia has invested $7.83 million over the next few years to support strategies to advance greater safety in sport in the amateur sport sector.
Our vision is for sport to be safe, welcoming and accessible to everyone.
This investment enables viaSport to work with government and the designated sport sector to strengthen the sport culture so that all of the benefits of sport can truly be realized. To reach this goal, we will:
- Help individuals and organizations create positive environments and recognize maltreatment by building on the PlaySafe BC tools and resources; and
- Establish an independent solution to address complaints in sport in a professional and trauma-informed manner that avoids conflicts of interest.
These initiatives fit within viaSport’s four strategic pillars for safety in sport: Prevent, Report, Respond, and Uphold. Read more about viaSport’s position on Safety in Sport here.
Next Steps for the BC ITP
viaSport has created a phased approach to advance this work:
- Build on previous work by continuing to consult with experts, viaSport designated sport organizations and participants to identify key success factors for the independent solution for complaints
- Hear from diverse voices through focus groups, surveys, and sector engagement opportunities
- Evaluate all of the input and determine the optimal structure and scope of an independent solution to address complaints in sport in BC.
- Develop the associated structure, services, policies and procedures for the new solution
- Launch the independent solution for designated sports organizations in British Columbia
- Use a phased approach to onboarding organizations
Consultation and Engagement – Sharing and Collecting Views
1. Focus Groups
Focus groups were conducted to understand the various perspectives and insights of the viaSport BC Designated sport community around an independent complaints process for BC. These sessions have now been completed and here are the findings from the focus groups.
2. Online Survey
The 10-minute survey was available from September 20 to October 15, 2023. No personal data was collected, ensuring all results are anonymous. View the results report.
3. SportScape 2023: Safe Sport Summit
On October 20, 2023, an event was held with leaders from Designated Sport Organizations in BC who received direct invitations to participate. Executive Directors and CEOs, staff, and/or board members responsible for implementation of dispute resolution and/or safety policies were invited to join for an interactive day focused on advancing an independent solution for complaints in BC. Read the summary report here.
WHAT WE’VE LEARNED SO FAR:
viaSport has been focused on advancing safety in sport since 2019 and has engaged with the sector to understand the gaps and system needs. Read more about what we learned from those opportunities.